Thursday, March 27, 2008

PLAY BALL!

And just like that, English Majors in the Upper Deck is up and running. This dream started a whole two days ago when I thought "Maybe me and Olson should start a blog about getting drunk at baseball games" and Voila - it is so. I would like to thank the people at blogger.com for making starting a blog REE-DICULOUSLY easy. I did it in about 20 minutes. Maybe less. Try it, you can have your own blog in like 15 minutes. What a world we live in!

A few years ago, Chris and I found ourselves chilling by ourselves in the familiar confines of Shea Stadium's red seats. The rest of our party was off getting beers, going to the bathroom , smoking cigarettes, etc. "Where'd everybody go?" I asked. Chris turned to me and said, "It's just me and you, Buck. A couple of English majors in the upper deck".

Both of us had, in fact, been English majors and were temporarily in the post-collegiate, prerequisite waiting period of unemployment that every English major must endure after graduation. Since then, we have attended myriad games and drank, I'm estimating, close to a million beers.

If you are a baseball fan, there is some undeniable experience that comes with going to the ballpark. You become attached to it and you form a special, personal relationship with the game. Plus, the ballpark is a fascinating laboratory for observing the human animal. They are great places for 'people watching'. In fact, for me the game is almost secondary to the atmosphere.

Chris and I love baseball and we love to read and we love to write but we're amateur writers and I mean, AMATEUR. But, I think that's the whole point of this foolish endeavor - to give the apsiring poet in the cheap seats a voice and to bring together more people who love baseball and who love to read and write.

So, join us and let's make this the best darned, rootin'-tootin'est amateur baseball writers blog there is! We would love to hear from you!

This is just in time, too. Opening Day is pulling into the driveway and I haven't even changed into my nice clothes and the house is still a mess. In fact, the A's and Red Sox are already on their way back from Japan after their two game series there (I would love to read a fan piece about that) . So, I'll try to get up my 3 best games from last year. Get ready, it's almost here!